Thursday, June 26, 2014

Is New "Annie" a Recipe for Disaster?

Jay-Z, only one of many producers, announced this film as a "modern re-imagining of a beloved musical." But if the musical is so beloved, does it really need a "modern re-imagining?" Shouldn't the integrity of the original work speak for itself? As an "Annie" fan, I can't say I am  particularly excited about this new adaptation, and I don't think many other fans are either. Here are a few reasons why I don't think "Annie" would really translate well from the 1930's (the time period the musical was originally written in) and now. For one, Annie is supposed to be this girl that brings sunshine to everyone she meets in an especially decrepit time--The Great Depression, America's most tragic economic downfall in history. I'm not saying that we couldn't use an optimistic young girl in our time as well, it's just...the original version is more of an extreme contrast to me. Second: the casting. I have no problem with Quvenzhane Wallis playing Annie, I adored the diverse casting we saw in The Wonderful World of Disney's 1997 musical film,  Cinderella, but on the other hand, Annie is best recognized for her red curly locks. The real casting issue I have is Cameron Diaz. She is way too young and hot to play Miss Hannigan, who is supposed to be pretty old, mean and pathetic, as well as a chronic drinker. I just...can't see Cameron Diaz as a woman like that. A more appropriate casting choice would be someone like Melissa McCarthy (who would certainly draw crowds) or, to make it more diverse, even Whoopi Goldberg would have been a better choice. Not to mention Diaz looks very moronic in the trailer; she's way too over-the-top. But I'll wait until I see the film to pass actual judgement on that one. Third, Can we talk about Jamie Foxx's character's name?? Benjamin Stacks?? WHEN DID OLIVER WARBUCKS BECOME A NON-HIP NAME???? Fourth, (last one, I promise), The music in the trailer seems awfully pop-ified. Annie is one of the most iconic Broadway musicals in history, and it's score is a distinctive Broadway score. Big brass, tap dance numbers, the whole shebang. If the original score is pop-ified, I will not be very happy.

        In my opinion, Foxx, Diaz, and Rose Byrne, and pretty much everyone in this movie deserve a much better Annie adaptation than the one in which they are participating in. (Actually exclude Diaz, she shouldn't even be there in the first place.) I won't completely write it off yet,and if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, but I have a strong feeling I'll be seeing Into the Woods to get my fill of movie musicals this Christmas instead.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your review but I am going to take the wait and see approach. Ha! Love you!

    ReplyDelete